Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mint & Lime Mojito

The first time that I had a Mojito was in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in 2008 while I was on vacation with a few of my girl friends. It somewhat become our signature drink of the vacation as we ordered them every time we were at a bar. Here is 20 year old me enjoying a Mojito in Mexico...



When we came back from vacation we started to ask for Mojitos at bars and restaurants, but most of the time our server would give us a puzzled look. After being disappointed with the few Mojitos that I could find, I decided to make my own Mojito recipe. Some people like granulated sugar in this drink, but I prefer simple syrup (which can easily be made at home and I will include this recipe as well). You can substitute granulated sugar instead of simple syrup if you like.

Ingredients:

10 mint leaves
3 lime wedges
1 tbsp simple syrup (see recipe below)
2 shots rum (I use Bacardi superior)
ice
club soda

Simple Syrup Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

To make the simple syrup boil the sugar in the water until it dissolves. Allow the mixture to cool and then pour into a container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

To make the Mojito drop the mint leaves and the lime wedges into the bottom of a high ball glass. Muddle the mint and lime until the mint is crushed and the lime wedges have released their juices. You can do this with a spoon, but I suggest investing in a muddler especially if you'll be making Mojitos fairly often (which I do!) Add the simple syrup. Next fill the glass with ice and pour the rum over the ice. Top with club soda. Stir for 30 seconds and serve.


And that's it! It's very easy to make and it's been a hit at many parties. The mint and lime flavor is refreshing on a hot summer day, but don't let that stop you from making one in the middle of winter while fantasizing about warmer weather to come.

Side Note: I was able to find Wild Harvest Organic Mint for sale at my neighborhood Jewel which is what I used in the Mojitos pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment