Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Grapefruit Infused Tequila

I love infusing liquors with my favorite flavors and so far I've made bacon infused vodka (which I used in a Bloody Mary) and also ginger infused vodka (which I used in a Saketini... upcoming blog about this recipe!) So when I came across a recipe in my Fine Cooking magazine for Tequila-Grapefruit Cocktails, I couldn't resist! This recipe features grapefruit infused tequila which is very simple to make. Shave the zest from 2 grapefruits with a vegetable peeler. Add the zest to a 750 ml bottle of silver tequila. Make sure that you pour off enough tequila to make room for the zest in the bottle (I used the tequila that I poured off to make myself a Margarita). Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 days and up to 2 weeks. Also, don't get rid of those grapefruits that you zested! The cocktail recipe calls for fresh grapefruit juice, so I kept them in the fridge in Ziploc bags until the tequila was ready.



After 3 days it's time to make some cocktails!

(Serves 2)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup grapefruit infused silver tequila
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
3 tbsp elderflower liqueur (I was able to find organic elderflower liqueur)
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
club soda

Put the tequila, grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur and lime juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake for 10 seconds. Strain into 2 double old fashioned glasses filled with fresh ice and top with a splash of club soda.

If you like grapefruit (which I do!) then you will love this cocktail! It tastes very light and fresh with the freshly squeezed grapefruit and lime. It's the perfect springtime drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment