Thursday, July 14, 2011

Freezing Your Herbs

My chocolate mint is starting to take over the pot that it's growing in so I decided to cut some off, but I didn't have an immediate use for it. I recall reading in a gardening book that herbs can be frozen and stored for a few months. Throwing the herbs into a bag and tossing it into the freezer will result in a clump of frozen mint. To prevent the leaves from freezing together, first place them on a baking sheet. Then once they're frozen they can be put into a bag and stored in the freezer until needed.



Here is the chocolate mint that I have harvested...


I pulled off the best looking leaves and placed them on a baking sheet which then went into the freezer for a few hours...


Once the leaves are frozen then they can be put into a plastic bag and stored for 3-4 months. When the leaves are defrosted for use they will not hold their shape (aka they will be a little flimsy) so they won't look pretty for garnishes. However, they can still be used in soups, stews, stocks, drinks, teas, etc. So far this year I've also frozen sage and oregano. It's a great way to keep fresh herbs around for future use without drying them!

No comments:

Post a Comment