Monday, July 4, 2011

Harvested Serrano Chili Peppers and Mini Bell Pepper Update

I'm just popping in here to write a quick update on two of my plants. My serrano chili pepper plant had a nice amount of full grown peppers ready to be harvested so I picked some yesterday. I'm so excited to make some salsa with them! It's still flowering and producing peppers, but I'm not sure how long that will continue. I also still have the two outdoor serrano chili pepper plants (which are in my parent's backyard) that have their first peppers appearing. My two outdoor mini bell pepper plants are also starting to form little peppers. The indoor mini bell pepper plant is doing fantastic! The two biggest peppers are starting to turn yellow which means that they are just about ready to be harvested. 
Here are the serrano chili peppers that I harvested yesterday...


And here are the mini bell peppers that are turning yellow... 


I found a delicious sounding recipe for stuffed mini bell peppers which I will definitely try out and report back! I love peppers so much. It's very rewarding to grow your own food and it makes you want to do something special with it which ties in with my love of cooking and trying new recipes. It's also inspiring to keep everything organic! 

As I'm typing this I just finished eating a baby spinach salad with red pepper, orange pepper and red onion. Growing food plants has definitely taught me a new respect for these foods. It's so much fun to watch them ripen on the vine. I took the above picture this morning and even now those peppers are much more yellow than they were before. I feel like I am outgrowing this small growing space and I have the itch to be outside, dig into the earth and harvest my own food. I'm already attempting to convince my parent's to give up at 10 ft x 10 ft square of their yard next summer so that I can set up a "three sisters garden" which is corn, beans and squash. If you've never grown a food plant before, I would recommend starting with peppers. They are very easy to maintain and it's so much fun to watch buds turn into flowers which then turn into delicious peppers!

Oh and... HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment