Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Environmental Enlightenment #10 (Natural Bath Products)

I promised a post in which I would share my love of Lush products and here it is! I'd like to start out by saying that I haven't used many of their products, but the ones that I have used I love. Lush has a wide selection of bath bombs. I enjoy a soak in the tub a couple times a month so I decided to try two of them out. My favorite was the French Kiss Bubble Bar.

I have a soft spot for Lavender. It smells so good! One day while I was out shopping with my sister we stopped in Lush and started sniffing all of the bath bombs. Picking up their products and smelling them in the store is totally acceptable and quite fun. The woman working at the time was very helpful. She asked what scents I liked and directed me towards the French Kiss Bubble Bar. It contains Lavender oil, Rosemary oil and Thyme oil. Then she performed a demonstration on how the bubble bar works. She plopped a small piece of a bubble bar into a pitcher and started to pour water into it. My sister and I watched as the water began to bubble up. Then she poured the bubble-y water back and forth between two pitchers and the bubbles became fairly thick and soapy, just as a regular bubble bath solution would. This demonstration was supposed to mimic the act of filling up your bath tub with a piece of the bubble bar in it. I took it home and tried it out and it worked so well. I also have jets in my bathtub so when the bubbles popped I just ran the jets and it stirred it back up into bubbles again! I used about 1/4 of the bar for one bath and it was plenty. I love this product and would recommend it to anyone who wants to take bubble baths in an environmentally friendly way.


The second bath bomb that I tried was the Ickle Baby Bot bath bomb which was also Lavender scented.

This little guy contains chamomile oils to help you relax after a long day. I have to admit that this one wasn't as much fun as the bubble bar. It just fizzes away when you drop it into the water, but the lavender scent is very nice and the oils left my skin feeling very smooth after my bath. I must confess that I mostly bought this guy because he was in the shape of a robot.

Besides the bath bombs there are some other natural products that I keep in the shower and use on a regular basis.


The Burt's Bees Aloe and Buttermilk Body Lotion is my go-to lotion. I also love anything with aloe in it. I have an aloe plant and I have cut off pieces of the leaves to use on my skin. It's healing and soothing properties are really good for the skin. This lotion is also very thick, which I like.

The Alba Sea Algae Enzyme Facial Scrub is my favorite natural facial scrub so far. I tried the Burt's Bees Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub and didn't like it because it felt waxy (possibly from the vegetable fat ingredient?) and the abrasive (which I believe is the peach stone) is too rough for my face. The Alba brand facial scrub had a much finer abrasive in it that still ex-foliated my skin, but wasn't as harsh. This also has aloe in it so double points!

The Burt's Bees Peppermint and Rosemary Body wash has a scent that will wake up any sleepy-head in the morning. I'm a fan of mint (in tea, in Mojitos, in food, in anything!) and I love the smell of this body wash. It lathers up really well on a loofah so you don't have to use too much. I can't even remember when I bought that bottle because it has lasted that long.

Last, but definitely not least is Lush's Whoosh Shower Jelly.


At first, it was weird trying to use a jelly in the shower. Then, once I got the hang of it, I grew to love it. Just tear off a nickel sized piece of the jelly and massage it into a loofah and it lathers right up! The smell of this shower jelly is amazing. It contains fresh organic lemon juice, fresh grapefruit juice, fresh organic lime juice grapefruit oil and rosemary oil. Also, if you bring the plastic tub that it comes in back to the store then you get a free face mask!

These natural bath products are good for the environment and fun to use.

I think I'll go take a shower right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment