Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chunky Fresh Tomato Salsa

Today I decided that it was time to pick some cilantro and make salsa. My favorite recipe for salsa comes from Rick Bayless. It felt very cool to be able to pick the cilantro myself and use it while fresh! I can't wait until my tomato plant starts producing... for now I have to use store bought tomatoes. Although I am lucky enough to have a nice produce place close by. The following recipe makes 2 cups of salsa and don't forget to have some Mexican style chips on hand for dipping!

Ingredients:

1 garlic clove, peeled
Fresh hot green chiles to taste, stemmed and halved (Rick Bayless recommends either 2 serranos or 1 jalepeno. The serranos pictured above are about two times bigger than what I would normally use, but the boyfriend requested spicy!)
2 medium-large tomatoes (about 1 lb)
1/3 cup (loosely packed) cilantro
1 large green onion, root and any wilted leaves removed, chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
salt

Drop the garlic and chile pieces into a food processor until finely chopped. Cut one of the tomatoes into quarters and add it to the food processor along with the cilantro. Pulse 4 to 6 times until you have a coarse puree. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Cut the other tomato into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the bowl along with the green onion. Taste and season with the lime juice and salt. The salsa is best if eaten within an hour or two, but will keep in the fridge. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment