Friday, May 20, 2011

National Ride Your Bike to Work Day

According to The League of American Bicyclists, May is National Bike Month and National Bike to Work Day is today, May 20th, 2011.


If I had a bike, or a job for that matter, I would definitely participate. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I've been trying to figure out a way to get rid of my car altogether. In the mean time, that means reducing its use as much as possible. I think that Ride Your Bike to Work Day can be a good experience for people to test the waters and see what they think about incorporating a bike into their commute.

While I can't share any personal experience on biking to work I did find this article to have some handy tips for newbies which address the top reasons why people don't want to bike in the first place. I've made some of these excuses myself, but the more I read about biking (and talk to people who commute by bike) the more reasonable it seems. What if you could save money on gas, insurance, sticker renewal fees, maintenance, etc? Replacing your car with a bike/public transportation can be the answer. Although I don't have my own bike at the moment, I did walk to the grocery store today instead of drive. That counts for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment