Saturday, April 30, 2011

Indoor Garden Update

The indoor garden is coming along just as planned with the exception of the stubborn mint and the addition of a few new plants. I got a strawberry plant for the boyfriend's sweet tooth and a lime basil plant for my Mojito tooth. I never heard of lime basil before, but when I saw the seed packet I had to have it! I immediately imagined it in various cocktails, teas and pasta sauces. Also, I had been waiting for my potato tubers to come and they finally arrived earlier this week. I will be planting them today and I'm so excited!


As I mentioned, the mint has been stubborn. I had heard previously that it was very difficult to grow mint from seed, but I wanted to try it out for myself anyways. I planted a few seeds and waited... and waited... and waited some more. Nothing happened. Everything else that I planted had sprouted and was on it's way, but the mint pot remained a pile of dirt. I wasn't ready to give up! I decided to pre-germinated the seeds and then place those in the pot hoping that they would take root. I placed some seeds on a wet paper towel inside of a plastic bag and set it in the window. Sure enough the seeds germinated within a few days. I set them in the pot and little tiny sprouts began to form (although too small to capture with my camera.) Right now I am cautiously optimistic that they will take root and grow into a plant. Fingers crossed!

The tomato plant is doing great. It has that fuzzy feeling to it and it also already has that tomato plant smell. I know that scent all too well, because my dog Lucky loves to eat unripened tomatoes from my parent's garden. So sometimes when we would let him in, we would catch a whiff of the telltale tomato plant on his head and then go into the yard to find half-eaten green tomatoes. What a weird dog... Anyways, here is my tomato plant as of today.


The mini bell pepper plant is also doing well. I had more sprouts than I intended so I removed some and they are waiting to be transplanted into my parent's backyard. I'm just curious to see how well they do compared to my indoor plant and also curious to see how well my transplanting skills are. Here is the mini bell pepper plant...


The serrano chili plants were in the same boat as the bell pepper plants in that I had more sprouts than I wanted in one pot. So I also moved some into another pot and I will be transplanting those into my parent's backyard as well. Here is my indoor serrano chili plant...


The carrots were the first to sprout and they are the wildest growing it seems. I usually stare at them for a while wondering what they look like underneath the dirt. I'm often tempted to pull one out and see, but not yet! Here are the carrots...


The green onions haven't seemed to be growing too well. I suspect that my cat has taken a shine to them (she also loves chives!) and I need to find a way to protect them from her. Here are the green onions so far...


The basil has been growing nicely and I can't wait until it gets big enough for me to start cooking with it!


The cilantro has been fast growing and I feel like it's just about time to use it in some salsa!


So that is what has been going on in the indoor garden. I also recently planted some chives and some marigolds. I have some cucumber seeds that are waiting to be planted at my parent's house as well. As soon as weather permits! So far it has been an awesome experience to watch these seeds transform from seeds into seedlings and soon enough they will be food producing plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment